Friday, July 20, 2007

It will also pass

This moment will also pass is a small realisation, but in many conditions it is a critical one. Last month, I went through one experience which made me realise this.

I had to make two trips between Thane and Vile Parle on a single day. At the end of the day I was tired and was returning by train. It was around 5 PM when my train on western line stopped at Dadar station where I had to change train for central line. The train came, fully packed, as usual. I too was able to board the train, pushing and being pushed like animals. I was able to find a place inside to stand on my feet. Two minutes after the train started, I realised that my mobile phone was not in my pocket. One co passenger gave a call to my number and it showed switched-off: a sure indication that it was stolen. Still, I searched it on the floor, whenever it was visible, in a foolish belief that it would have fallen somewhere.

As the train reached Thane, it was raining cats and dogs, as one of my colleagues used to say. I tried to get an auto, but to my horror, no auto wallah was ready to go to a "not-so-far" distance. My experience with Mumbai rains told me that there was no benefit staying somewhere, as water had started logging on the roads. I had to be on the move. For 15 minutes, I tried to get an auto, but no benefit. It was a very painful situation. I started walking. No bus passed which could have dropped me to my destination. My leather shoe started giving away last year I had lost another loving shoe. I kept walking, realising again that my umbrella was also not enough.

For 25 minutes, I walked in the heavy rains, on water logged roads, and without a phone. I tried to get an auto on the way, but no one agreed to drop me. It was really a miserable condition.

10 minutes after I reached my home, all my pain and discomfort had vanished. I was happy and comfortable as ever. Then I realised nothing is for ever. If we are having a hard time, it will also pass.

No comments: