Thursday, May 31, 2001

Book Review: Show Business, by Shashi Tharoor


‘Show Business: A Novel’
By Shashi Tharoor
Penguin

‘Show Business’ is the story of life in Mumbai’s film industry, called Bollywood. It’s the story of a young talented man Ashok who went on to become a superstar. On his way, he misses a lot of genuine friends, goes through a lot of corrupting experiences and I think he never realizes when and how he loses his integrity and character. It is a disturbing story as such, of characters losing ‘character’ and leading a life full of miseries, false put-ups, faking expressions and corrupting experiences. But that I guess is part of “show business”! 

Many a time while reading the book, it seemed to me that the author has based Ashok’s character over Amitabh Bachchan. From physical attributes to him marrying another actress who had to leave acting after wedding, many things match. Even Ashok’s entry into politics and a near fatal accident are the same. But if such similarity brings familiarity, it is for the benefit of the reader. Because in a lot of aspects it is a fresh story. The novel runs many parallel stories at the same time. In portions, it also narrates screens from movies; it’s amazing to see how Mr. Tharoor could be a super hit script writer for movies too. The climax of the story is shocking and so twisting that you don’t get it till you finish the last paragraph. 

After reading this book, I am in absolute admiration for Shashi Tharoor’s writing skills and imagination. I always knew he writes well but his fiction is also so touching, sensible and wonderful to read. Just read how sensitive this portion has become: 

“Do you have to go, Ashok?” she asks, as the ayah begins to change the diapers and we move away from the babies.

“You know I do,” I reply reasonably. After all, it is my profession. 

“You spend so little time with the girls,” she says.

What she really means, of course, is that I spend so little time with her. 

“They’ve got you, my love,” I point out. “That is the whole idea, isn’t it? One of us must be with them as much as possible. I have got to go out and earn the daal and chawal.”

“But you don’t need to work so hard any more, Ashok,” she says. “We can afford all the daal and chawal we can possibly want, and more. You told me yourself you didn’t know what to do with all the black money that has been pouring in.”

What she really means is, you don’t have to do so many films with Mehnaz Elahi. She has heard the rumors, like everyone else. But she never asks about it. Never mentions Mehnaz’s name. Proud woman, my wife. I like that about her: her pride. (P 128-129)

I haven’t read many books on life in Bollywood but I feel this novel brings many fresh perspectives, which are solely due to the writer’s own learned points of view. I highly recommend this novel to all. 

- Rahul

No comments: