Saturday, July 23, 2011

Reaching out to Goonj

I had written before on my blog, about how I got an idea of making a social change by helping my colleagues in my office to donate old clothes and other items to the poor and needy (through an NGO). I started collecting material from colleagues about a month back. People used to call me up, used to bring old clothes and other materials in poly-bags and I would meet them to collect. At times they even dropped the materials at my home, when the material was heavy. I could meet them during lunch, or after the office hours before going home. The collection system worked very well but I had not imagined that it will gain so much popularity. Within a month I collected so much material that the space in my flat started looking stuffed. By that time I had also realized that Goonj’s warehouse (the NGO through which I had planned to help donate) was too far away in a very different portion of the city. Two colleagues had initially expressed interests to help me by carrying materials in their cars, but later on we were finding issues with their availability (also because the place to go was about 30km from our place). But at last, Supriti and her husband obliged me by giving a helping hand.
.
So one Saturday, she and her husband came with their car and we went to the NGO’s warehouse. She had already collected a lot of material from her neighbors also, and together we had a huge amount – perhaps 200 kgs or so. Goonj’s warehouse was near Wagheshwari Temple, and even Chokhi Dhani was not far away. It was a pleasant drive to reach there. But more pleasant was what we saw after reaching there. It was their warehouse cum processing center. The center’s in-charge told us that if the donated clothes were in good shape they donated those to the poor as-it-is. But in case of torn clothes (especially cotton or denim), they make a lot of useful items like bags, wallets, etc from the clothes. Even a cotton thread doesn’t go waste if they collect it, as we saw that they were creating very good doormats from those waste clothes. We also saw the bags and wallets they had made and everything looked very new and fresh. We saw about 20 rural women working there in their center. We came to know that at times they also ran campaigns or stalls and sell the items made by the women. The money goes back to the poor, and the women are also employed in a way. I found their model very innovative and worth emulating by others. The person from the NGO gave me a receipt, which was actually printed on one side of a used-paper. Great to know that they actually practice what they preach.
.
<< I have pictures of the bags they had prepared. I would load those here in some time. >> You can also check a similar observation here [Link] The following picture taken from www.goonj.org shows the women making school bags out of old collected clothes:
.

In the events like a flood, earthquake or tsunami, Goonj helps the affected regions with supplies of clothes and other items. The NGO is also connected with a lot of other allied NGOs for many activities.
.
I wish to continue the collection drive and help others help the poor. And then I have some of my own other plans to help the poor and needy, which I look forward to starting someday.
.
- Rahul

4 comments:

Yaayawar said...

Great Job Rahul. Is this the reason you are less visible at FB. But happy to see that you are devoting your time to significant things.

Rahul said...

Thanks a lot Yaayawar :)

laxmi said...

Good job Rahul!

mandeep said...

Keep up the good work Rahul..would like to be associated with it soon,,,