Saturday, October 20, 2012

My Hindi Blog


A few years ago while searching for meaning of a term I reached a language forum (portal). Out of curiosity I checked out if it also had threads related to Hindi language. It indeed had such a sub-forum for Hindi and many other languages. I found that most members on the portal were international members who were somehow involved with Hindi and hence cleared their doubts there by posting queries. Some were even NRIs (Non-resident Indians), or a foreign-born spouse of a Hindi speaking Indian member who wanted to know meanings of many Hindi words. There were very few active members from India who could answer them. And next part of my realization made me shift in pain:

There were members from Pakistan and some other Indian Muslims settled abroad who had formed an alliance. They would dominate any thread marked with “Hindi” and would start discussing Urdu in those threads even if the thread-starter had no interest in Urdu. They mixed up Hindi and Urdu and made best efforts to denigrate Hindi against Urdu. They tried to map all the pitfalls of Urdu (which literally means a military camp) on Hindi and tried to show Hindi devoid of its rich heritage. For example, they would claim Hindi is (allegedly) getting extinct and Urdu words are more common now giving examples from lyrics of Bollywood’s popular songs. They alleged that Hindi didn’t come from Sanskrit and that Sanskrit was a religious language. All such false allegations and insertions were to promote Urdu and show Hindi in worst light imaginable. I tried to counter them for months by posting unbiased answers. I succeeded in many threads where I defeated them with logic and evidence. But then I realized that the moderators were also “one of them”! Moderators tried to harass me with finding small technical faults and coming out all united with those Pakistani and Urdu members. The only other active Indian member, who posted unbiased and true facts about Hindi in those forums, also expressed sadness and disgust at the moderators’ attitude and their nexus with Urdu-supremacists.  

After posting more than 500 comments and answers, I retrospected that my sane posts were getting lost in the clutter of those biased anti-Hindi members’ posts. And then I thought about changing the game itself.

I have started a blog called “Ask about Hindi” where any member can ask questions related to Hindi words and Hindi language. I would also like to support if queries in other Indian languages come, by taking help from my friends versed in those languages. I know that everyone Googles their questions before posting on forums now a day. If I continue and keep building up my Hindi-Help blog, it will get popular and people will get good alternative to that biased anti-Hindi language portal.

Here is my blog for your review and reference:





If you are interested to contribute too, please comment or send me your email ID. I may ask you for answers and your views on some of the queries as and when they come to me. Or if you run write articles related to Hindi, you can send me links and permission to share it on this blog too.

Best regards, 
Rahul Tiwary


P.S.: I have kept language of communication in the blog as English along with Hindi, so that all are encouraged to ask. Also, I may not be an expert in Hindi but I plan to contribute by sharing my knowledge accumulated while spending 30 years amongst Hindi speaking population. 

Disclaimer: Opinions on this blog are personal and do not represent those of any organization associated with the author. You are welcome to share your opinion in the comments section. 

No comments: