Saturday, April 19, 2014

Giving and Receiving it While Debating

Someone wondered why people who are seeing putting hard truths even at the cost of hurting others personally, take it otherwise and are offended when they are at the receiving end. If they expect others to take it, why can’t they themselves take it without getting offended?  

I think it is not about "truth" per se. There are people who choose to put their opinion bluntly (not all opinions can be called true/false, so I think key is that they share their opinion which they know may not be liked). When it comes to receiving feedback, they may not agree with the other person who is trying to give blunt feedback to them; and they get angry because they take it personally and feel insulting. Their anger is understandable and I don't think it is hypocritical if you are thinking it as, since while sharing rude opinion they know that the other person will get angry. Getting angry is a common way people react to rude personal comments and in such case both parties are getting angry, so it becomes a game. Just like badminton or tennis; both players hit the other hard; and if one is not hitting hard it is considered weakness rather than being gentle.

I think comparison with games is good way to understand it. Arguing and debating is king of "game", literally and figuratively. I myself play such "game" at times :) I think when I am playing it, even if my comment may hurt the other person, I am not personal. Means it does not matter who the other person is, at the heat of argument I would still say what I wanted to say, strongly/bluntly. Just like when we are playing the game, it is not that we are "personally" trying to defeat the other person. The other player can be just anyone and we shall play at our best. And when it comes to receiving it :), we take it in the same sportsperson's attitude. After a few weeks we should ideally forget who was exactly the person, who said what. So we should be debating with a person for months/years all on different topics without agreeing much, but we seldom quit :) Because it is a game...

No comments: