Saturday, July 20, 2019

Movie Review: Super 30

I watched “Super 30” where super star Hrithik Roshan plays the role of Bihari teacher Anand Kumar. 



I am a huge fan of Hrithik Roshan; but I would accept that before watching this movie I was skeptical whether this role fitted Hrithik’s image well. But after watching the movie, I can only say, “Wow!”. Hrithik has played the role of a Bihari character Anand Kumar so well! Kudos to Hrithik. 



The story is equally mesmerizing and immensely inspiring. After watching the movie one can only be left revering teacher Anand Kumar for his true contribution to the society. It is a story of rising against all odds, fighting the system, being vulnerable, losing his love of life not due to poverty but due to principles of life and what a gritty story this is. Story is gripping and so very touching.

While watching the movie I was reminded of my own struggles while preparing for IIT JEE (entrance exam). Coming from a small town in Bihar, I arrived in Lucknow to get admission in a coaching institute. I loved mathematics most and at the beginning of the session, the institute took a test to assess how much the students knew maths. I topped the exam. Then we were informed that there will be a second exam. When asked about its reason, the administrator said that even though the topper of the exam has scored good marks, the second topper and subsequent ones have not scored well. So, a second test was conducted and I topped it again! As a prize, I was given a thick book on mathematics of a foreign writer. The book was in yellow cover. A very similar episode happens in this movie too; when Anand Kumar tops a test and wins gold medal. But when he realizes that the runner up has got a foreign journal as prize, he wishes that he had won second prize instead of the first prize! 

The movie also reminded me of my love for mathematics and how I have missed it totally after leaving college. In my best days I would study and solve mathematics puzzles for 6 hours at a stretch. I plan to do something to still be in touch with mathematics. 

There are several touching episodes in the movie which have come up very well. The lovely relationship between Anand Kumar and his father is very touching; the way Anand Kumar loses his love due to choices he had made in life; Anand Kumar's brother and how he sacrificed for his brother's cause; and how Anand Kumar lost the Cambridge University opportunity - these events make it an epic story which viewers will remember for a long time to come. 



Three cheers for Anand Kumar and his Super 30! We need more people like Anand Kumar, especially in ignored places like Bihar, to make our country great again. India is on its path of resurgence and everyone needs to contribute for our nation’s progress for next many years; in order to make India a developed country.


Pankaj Tripathi has played the role of education mafia very well. He reminds of Manoj Vajpayee in his role in the movie Arakshan. Pankaj Tripathi has made his name very well with powerful performances. Another interesting aspect is that while Hrithik Roshan has used Bihari accent in his dialogues, the movie truly represents India as a whole and this story appears to be of any state of India. It is really magical the way movie-makers have made it that the broad horizon has come up very well. 

-      -      Rahul Tiwary

No comments: