Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Lesson from ATM Experience: Follow the Herd

 

In India, we mostly use ATM (automatic teller machine) to withdraw cash from our bank accounts. We often need to know where the ATMs are installed where we live so that at the time of need we save the hassle. This incident I am going to describe is from yesterday.

I was at an unfamiliar place using that ATM station for the first time. It had three ATMs inside a room, out of which one was just in front of the entrance door and two were on its left side. While approaching it, I noticed that two men before me went to the third ATM which was farthest from the entrance. I wondered why they left the nearest ATM and went to the farthest. I thought that maybe they did it to ensure privacy, since people from outside the ATM station would be able to see how much cash they withdrew if they did it from the machine near the door. Or maybe they did it because the nearest two machines were not in working condition. But I was ready for any adventure and hence I did not “follow the herd”. I went to the first machine right in front of the door.

I had to withdraw Rs 20,000 and when we are using a machine of any other bank apart from our own bank, we have to withdraw in installments of Rs 10,000 at one go. So, I provided all inputs to withdrew Rs 10K from the machine and waited. Its cash slot opened, it made some unexpected noise, and then it abruptly ‘threw’ currency notes outside with a force! In a few moments, it stopped still. Worried, I picked up some fallen notes and wondered if those were really “all”. I tried to pull out my debit card, but the machine won’t let it go! Now I counted the currency notes and those were less than Rs 10K! But after a few moments, the cash slot opened again and once again it ‘threw’ a few other currency notes and closed abruptly. It also released my debit card for me to collect. Now that the ordeal was over, I counted the amount and it was alright.

Since I had to withdraw another 10K, I decided not to trust the same faulty machine again. So, I moved to the next machine, still avoiding the third machine which the ‘herd wisdom’ was asking me to go to. I withdrew 10K and the second machine which I was using released 10 currency notes of Rs 100! New machine, new adventure! I was not sure if it was my fingers which slipped or the buttons of the machine which did not obey me well. Anyways, now tired of my adventures, I went to the third ATM which was the one where herd wisdom had asked me to go in the first place.

As soon as I started pressing buttons for withdrawing from the third machine, I noticed the difference. The screen was working perfectly, the buttons were working very smooth. Since the ATMs are used by the masses, we are all used to expecting not-so-smooth experiences. But this third machine was working like a machine from heaven! It gave me exactly what I asked it for, and did not attach any adventure along with the “package” (of experience).

After coming out of the ATM station, I felt relieved. What was interesting in this ordeal is that I disobeyed the ‘herd wisdom’ purposefully and I was punished for my decision very promptly. I went in with brave face, ready to face the unexpected and I was served well! I can’t complain.

Perhaps this is how society learns to avoid taking risks and does not buy ‘adventures’. An inefficient and faulty system creates more ripples in the minds of the society than we can see. It changes our behavior and forces us to think and plan in a certain pattern. Technology is supposed to be a great leveler. But, combine it with an inefficient system and a society which does not seek perfection, and you have a series of ‘adventures’ to look forward to.

- Rahul Tiwary


No comments: