Friday, June 18, 2021

1st June, 200*: The Bus Ride


1st of June triggers a few interesting memories from my past. It was 1st of June, when I joined my first job after completing my engineering. Despite many years have passed, I have vivid memories of a few things, due to the nature of those. I remember the day I landed in the city where I was to join my job – Kolkata.

My date of joining was one of the earliest in our batch. Just a few days ago, our last papers were done. I had vacated my hostel and went to a relative’s place for a few days. I needed money for my expenses. In those days, there were no internet banking or ATM cards. My father often gave me cheques which I deposited in my SBI bank account at our college branch, and then stood in long queues spending a few hours in order to withdraw money every time. There were no mobile phones and I needed to stand in long queues in front of PCO (Public Calling Office) booths, in order to make STD call to my parents’ landline phone number. Because of the nature of urgency, I was asked to visit the relative’s place, spend a couple of days there and take money from them. I even had to buy a luggage there, because I did not have any proper big size luggage after leaving the hostel. A day before 1st of June, I caught a train to reach Howrah. No AC compartment, and perhaps an unreserved ticket since the distance was not much.

I arrived at Howrah railway station and came out dragging my luggage. I had visited the city a few times before, twice visiting the Passport Office and once for site seeing. Even in those days, I loved visiting places and monuments of historical importance, as I found those inspiring. After I came out of the railway station, I found myself in middle of a crowded mess. I talked to a few taxis who were charging very high fare. Then, someone suggested that the public bus that was standing nearby was about to leave and it would drop me exactly at the place I wanted to go. Quickly, I entered the bus, carrying my big luggage. I had no idea of what was in store there for me.

The public bus was too crowded. I could not get a seat and hence I just stood. But I had to put my luggage somewhere and hence I put it by the side of one seat, trying to cause less inconvenience to others. But I soon realized that it was indeed much inconvenient to others. The bus started and when the conductor came to offer me ticket, he objected to the luggage and I offered him to buy one more ticket, so that it is accounted for. But by that time, the other passengers had already watched me, understood me, and even formed an opinion about me. They soon delivered a verdict that I was nuisance creator, too selfish and a miser. A person started saying loudly that I should have taken a taxi instead of boarding a bus. Then, another person, from far away in the bus, started complaining about increasing selfishness in society. Then, another man said something else about me. They were all talking in Bengali, which I could understand only little, but I had understood their meaning. The bus was too crowded, exit gates were packed, and I could not deboard it even if I tried to. During whole journey, which felt too long to me, people kept discussing me and my luggage. All the while, I was standing in the over-crowded bus, being subjected to ridicule as a punishment for my ‘sin’ of having entered it. I had experienced discrimination and things like regionalism before, and I knew how to deal with it: keep silent and tolerate it all. So, I did exactly that.

Next day at office, I came to know that travel expenses including local conveyance was to be reimbursed by the company and hence I should have taken the costly taxi at the railway station! A young engineer from a small town, it was certainly a steep learning curve for me. From the same day onward, I started taking taxi to travel between office and the hotel the company had booked for me. There are perks of being a ‘corporate slave’ as they say, and we need to enjoy the ride, learning the ropes on the way.

- Rahul Tiwary 

No comments: