Monday, March 11, 2002

Book Review: Saadhana by Rabindranath Tagore


‘Sadhna’ (in Hindi)
By: Rabindranath Tagore
Rajpal & Sons
ISBN: 978-81-7028-768-1

‘Saadhna’ is a collection of philosophical pieces of writing by Rabindranath Tagore. I was interested in knowing the inner philosophies of Tagore and when I saw this book, I realized I had got a good opportunity. Within the pages of this book he shares his thinking on many aspects of our life and spirituality. Chapters of this book are “Vyakti ka vishwa se sambandh”, “atmbodh”, “paap ki samasya”, “vyaktitva ki sarthakta”, “prem sadhna se Prabhu prapti”, “karm-sadhna se Prabhu prapti”, “saundarya-sadhna”, and “anant ki sadhna”.

From what I read from this book, I got to realize that Rabindranath’s core ideas were from Hinduism or Vedanta. Since I am reading parallel some books on Hinduism and Vedanta, I could see the exact mapping of ideas. It gave me a good feeling.

Highly recommended to all those who want to understand the philosophies and spiritual forces running within Rabindranath Tagore…

- Rahul

No comments: