Friday, October 17, 2008

Customers don’t forgive

I was late and in a hurry. I had to create recovery CDs for my laptop, which I had been procrastinating for a long time. I stepped in the neighbour general store and asked for a blank DVD. “How much is it?” I heard “90”! I asked him to say again. Now he says “only 20”. I took two pieces and went out. But then I came to realise that the first time he had said “19”, but seeing that I couldn’t hear him, he had asked the round figure of 20 the next time. I made a mental note that I would avoid this shop in the future.

One of the ways the market has developed has resulted in un-forgiving customers. Taking a short term approach can be fatal to businesses. The opportunity cost of losing a customer is very much higher than acquiring a new customer from competition. But even then some shoppers do that mistake. And the worst thing is that they are not reading our blogs to realise this :). They will learn it a hard way...