Thursday, July 22, 2010

How They Exit

With growing consumer’s indifference along with increased consumer awareness, advertisements and PR attempts are becoming ineffective to create a positive image of a company or its products. In these times, companies are thinking about innovative effective ways to reach the same effects. One concept to which we should become aware is the opportunity lying in the exiting employees. Each employee resigning and exiting from the company is actually a potential brand ambassador for the company.

I can recall my experience with the first company I was working with after my graduation in engineering. Then I had no prior experience of leaving a job and hence I was anxious as to how they will take my decision. That morning when I presented my resignation letter to my immediate boss, he talked to me and then informed the superior bosses. Then I had a meeting with the Works Manager who requested me not to leave and then I had a long meeting and conversation with the Plant Manager. I was asked to review my decision in some days. When I held to my decision, my exit formalities started. I remember my last day in the company. I completed all clearance forms and then I went to the Finance and Accounts for the final settlement. To my surprise, they were very courteous. My documents were checked and they calculated and informed me about my settlement dues and balance. The whole process didn’t take much time and in fact they had given me a priority over other jobs, perhaps learning that it was my last day there in the company. I was so relieved with the entire process that I sent an email to the HR and Finance Heads, thanking them for the extremely courteous exit process.

I have always been appreciating towards the first company I worked with and this exit experience is one of those which are always in my mind. It is understandable that my appreciation for the company and their fair process goes far beyond to reach others each time I speak about it. I am sure that with word-of-mouth (WOM), the company would have benefited much all through the years.

Comparing it with another experience made me realise how not all companies are aware or awakened enough about this opportunity. Leaving a job is not an easy experience for an employee and in those nervous hours if the HR and Finance departments are a bit more empathetic, courteous, fair and quick, it creates a whole lot of difference.

We leave jobs but our experiences don’t leave us. Therefore companies should try to convert this loss (of engagement) into an opportunity. Each employee leaving the organisation is a potential Brand Ambassador. The sooner companies realise this, the more effective and permanent their PR endeavours would be.

- Rahul

No comments: