Friday, July 30, 2010

Memories of Early Self-respect


I must be in class III or IV at that time. We were a gang of boys (the rival gang was of the girls) and I was suspected to be their ‘leader’. In those days, after every lunch we used to play some indigenous games like chhua-chhuant (chase) in the crowded playground. I was more sober than others and took part only occasionally. The Headmistress of our school used to sit at her chair overlooking us. She was dreaded by students due to her nature and her physique (she was the bulkiest woman we had ever seen). I remember that afternoon.

We had finished our lunch and I was just roaming around when I saw one guy running after the other. The guy who was trying to catch the other was a short and popular one. He was called Sushil Pandey (there was another guy who was called simply Sushil). I don’t know what came to my mind but I ran after Sushil Pandey who was already trying to catch the other guy. In the confusion, perhaps, he lost his balance and fell down. He rose quickly and resumed his run. But it was our bad luck that Madam had seen us. She called both of us and asked me why I had pushed Sushil Pandey on the ground. Now I had not done anything like that and hence tried to explain how Sushil was running after the other guy when I started after him and a fraction of second before I could touch him, he by himself fell down. Madam was not impressed with my detailed but interesting (and factual) explanation. Friends are friends and Sushil proved it in time of need. He told her that it was not my fault but he had fallen by himself. But Madam won’t even listen to him. She called me near to her and hit me with a duster (eraser), once each on both my palms, as a punishment.

Not many had watched me getting punished but it seemed as if I was branded guilty in front of the whole town. The burden was immense.

Despite a child’s nature to forget things, I think I realised two things after that event: (1) People can be insensitive. Though I didn’t know anything about sensitivity or absence of it at that time, I just couldn’t understand why Madam would completely discard what I was trying to explain and what Sushil too approved of. And (2) People may not care for your reputation. I don’t know if all children think that they enjoy some repute and have a personal stature, which can be harmed, but I definitely was one who did. I was hurt from the fact that despite I being one of the most disciplined students in the school and despite the fact that I never told lies or did tricks like pushing others, I was not believed.

The day passed like any other and I forgot the incident. But after some years I realised that I had not forgotten it. It may be because of the fact that it was one of the very few occasions when I was punished by teachers. But it may be more than that. It was mainly because I had felt ‘insulted’ as a child; I was not believed despite my truthfulness and that event remained in some corner of my mind. I don’t know if the event also shaped me as a person but consciously I would never be in the shoes of our Madam.

While dealing with children, some times we forget that they too have ‘self-respect’. A child’s world may be different from ours, but among their friends, they too enjoy a reputation. In games they try to emulate us, the grownups. If we want them to grow up as sensible persons, we too have to practice what we teach.

- Rahul

No comments: