Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

Finished an unusual book - The Prince by the 15th century political philosopher, historian, writer and diplomat Niccolò Machiavelli. In those times Italy was being ravaged, humiliated and controlled by foreigners and hence he wrote this book as a political guide to the Italian Prince. The pages are full of ideas that are unethical, cunning and wicked in the normal discourse, but these were indeed the norms those days when kings played games of wars. The book was published in 1532, about 5 years after his death (I think it is unfair to publish one’s writing after death, unless so willed), and brought much controversy and negative image to Machiavelli. Interestingly, the Italian prince did not agree with the suggestions of this book; I think either because true leaders don’t need manuals of leadership or else since even wicked people don’t want to publicly endorse wicked methods. The historical account also throws light on the military history of Christian Church and Pope.

Reading the book I also realized that much of history shown in Hollywood epic/historical films is real... In the book I could also find so many points which are positive and constructive wisdom, even applicable today.

If you are interested in history and politics, I am sure you will find it very interesting. The book is also available on Flipkart.
 
Reading Machiavelli I also thought of Arthshastra by Chanakya. I think the main difference is that focus of Chanakya's verses is on maintaining a state's law and order; rules and legislation, economy and the system, while The Prince is focused on acquiring new lands and keeping the reigns no matter by what means. There is little of what can be called "rules" or "system" in Machiavelli's texts but it is more about "strategy" here. There is little, except a prescription on taxation in newly acquired regions, of economics in The Prince. Also this book is based on 'case studies' method rather than being structured in the manner of verses or nuggets of prescriptions, like Arthshastra is. So I think The Price is basically a historical book on military Strategies; while Arthshastra is a book of management and economic policies. Only sections on national security or military from Chanakya’s work would match with subject of Machiavelli’s book; so Arthshastra is much broader. Just last month I finished reading ‘Corporate Chanakya’ by Radhakrishnan Pillai where entire Arthshasta has been presented as a text book of modern day management…

1 comment:

naresh said...

Hi,
I stumbled across your blog and really enjoyed your reviews. I am a publisher (2 novels published) in search of identity and would feel privileged to get reviewed by you.
I will be happy to send a copy to you (soft copy or hard copy. Whichever you feel convenient enough). Let me know if you are interested.
I’d love to hear back from you. You may contact me at mallam.nareshgoud@gmail.com

Best Regards,
Naresh