Sunday, December 5, 2021

Book on Death and Near Death Simulation

 

Earlier this year, I read a book named ‘Death’. Yes, you heard it right! Check Death Book - (sadhguru.org) for more. In this book, Sadhguru (Shri Jagadish Vasudev) presents a comprehensive analysis of everything about death. He attends to common questions like what is life, why are we here on earth, what exactly is death, what happens after death, how should relatives behave after death, do death related rituals help, and what to do and what not to do about those. He heavily draws ideas from Hinduism as well as common social practices and concepts in India or abroad. A few pointers from the book would include Sadhguru’s good explanation about why cremation is better than other forms of dead body disposal like burial.

I had previously read about concepts and practices in Hinduism from many sources including many sadhus and from Ramakrishna Mission and Vivekananda’s writings. After reading this book on death from Sadhguru, I largely agree with what he said, if I match it from my previous reading from other sources on Hinduism. I have also found that Sadhguru’s writing style is unique and perhaps he connects with 21st century generation readers in a better manner as compared to older writings by other religious organizations. I also noticed that near the end of this book, Sadhguru tells about some ritual services his organization Isha Foundation offers in Bengaluru. It does sound a bit like undercover marketing for his organization, but it is not done excessively and hence it is ok.

I noticed one unique lesson from this book which was about how Sadhguru explained that the “moments before death” are very important. He said that even a criminal can die in a better manner and it can help his soul, as compared to a good man who can die in a bad manner and it would cause problems for his soul. As far as I remember, since it has been many months since I read the book, he talked against the practice of gathering whole family or doing make the death a big event. A peaceful death in solitude may be better. I think he gave example of elephants, that when they have to die due to old age or any reason, they choose an isolated spot and just wait there till they die. He said that even animals know how to die in grace, while many people make a big fuss before dying, making entire family gather, cry, or plead to God to stop them from dying. And this harms their soul rather than helping in any manner.

Now, after some time since reading this book, I was very sick, my body and especially legs were paining immensely, and it was nighttime. I don’t remember if I had taken medicine or not, since it was day-1, but I was in immense pain for a few hours and in desperation, I wished to God to take me away to relieve me from the pain. I was in this state for some time and then I questioned myself about what I had just wished. So, for some time questions and answers happened within my head. I asked myself if I was really serious to ask God to take me away since it was a serious thing. I got the answer that I was serious about it. I did not see any great value in continuing anyway, so I thought what’s wrong in now than later. Next, I asked myself if I wished anything before I died. My mind brought pictures of my kids before me, but apart from that I did not really have any specific wish. I questioned myself if I would not like to think about all material wealth I had, if I was really willing to part with all those, did not I have any wishes to do before I died? I realized at that moment all material things did not matter to me at all and I did not care what happened to all my money after I died, neither did I wish to do anything with it before my death. Now, this was a very important realization, because at the time of death of Sushant Singh, we all had questioned about how he could die if he had amassed so much wealth. I realized that at the moments before our death, material wealth does not really matter to us. At that time, somehow, we are ‘detached’ from most of the things which matter to us during rest of the time. It felt that once one is ready to go, nothing else matters. I did not have any regrets, no wishes, nothing. I was simply ready to go.  

I had quickly recovered in a few days and those moments of death ‘simulation’ felt distant afterwards. I did not think much about that day later on, nor did I get any similar feelings afterwards. But I wanted to write it down for my blog, so I am finally doing it today.

-

No comments: