Monday, October 11, 2010

Something about Everything

I remember the first time I saw someone working on an SAP screen. He was a warehouse executive, carrying out regular material receipt and issue transactions. I was not exposed to ERP at that time and hence tried to understand things from him. He was too busy posting goods and creating invoices and hence I had to understand from seeing what he was doing. I remember that at that time I was really amazed by the executive’s ‘expertise’. His fingers would float on the keyboard; he always knew where to go; and he remembered the puzzling t-codes by rote! What would be his qualification? Not more than a graduation in any stream. But his work impressed me. I also noticed that majority of his colleagues at his level, were all very good at their work.

Now that I have got proper training and have understood the functionalities, I see the same situation and the same guys in a very different way. I remember that when I asked those guys about anything beyond those selected navigations, they won’t know. They didn’t even know the proper full forms of terms like ‘T-code’ or ‘GRN’. Now I realize that the expertise they had gained is because of working on the same few screens day in and day out. They don’t understand things beyond what they have been taught. And they don’t fully understand the implications of what they are doing in down/upstream the supply chain. Their work is kind of transactional, repetitive and even robotic.

If we don’t properly understand things, we can easily get into the trap of accepting things on their face values and getting carried away. I think “knowing something about everything and everything about something” is still the key.

- Rahul

No comments: