Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Catcher in the rye

Happened to read ‘The catcher in the rye’ by JD Salinger (though I agree with wife that this was not my ‘kind of’ book) It has a very touching episode in the end. A boy of 16 gets fed up of schools and almost whole society because it is full of ‘phonies’ (I guess he would hate Facebook also for the same reason :) He gets thrown out of school and after some messy vulnerable days decides to run away to somewhere and start working at a gas station. So he calls his little sister of 10 to say final good-bye. Does she come? She comes with a big suitcase and says, “I am going with you. Can I? Okay?” :) The bro obviously says “no” and forces her to go back to her school (no matter how we hate school and society, we want our siblings and youngsters to be part of it!), but she won’t go back! So he takes her to a zoo and finally goes back to his home-coming! Lovely and very touching part…

Writing style is so unique and loveable that you won't leave the book until you finish. I read such a book for the first time in life; I should search for more from JD Salinger.

No comments: