Saturday, February 11, 2017

[#Travelogue] A Walk Around Pune

It all started afresh in the morning. The sun was rising on the horizon. The city was waking up. The first thing I felt after reaching Pune was its air. There was almost a smell of freshness in the air as I breathed in. Was it because I was coming from Delhi which was called one of the most polluted cities? Or was it that the smell was of a nostalgia which should be natural for me? I had a couple of hours which I wanted to splurge in an aimless walk. Thanks to smartphones we are never ill-equipped to capture a moment these days. Hence I walked.

This was the city which was my home for six fruitful years. How does it feel visiting your city as a tourist? It felt weird – as if there was something secretive about me walking in. Did people realize I was walking in there after so many months? I walked on the same roads and pavements; looked at the same buildings and sky; came across the same people and their eyes; I can’t sum up the feeling but some feeling that was!

The first place to go was naturally the Dagduseth Ganapati Temple. Before coming to Pune, I had lived in Mumbai for hour years where I had developed a special bond with Lord Siddhivinayak. In the form of this Ganesh temple, I had found a continuation of affection and faith which I so desired.
It was early in the morning when I walked in; and it felt having never gone away as I walked out.

This is the Dagduseth Ganapati Temple of Pune: 


From there as I walked towards Shaniwar Wada, I found Lal Mahal on my right hand side. The current Lal Mahal is the reconstruction of the original. The original Lal Mahal was built by Shivaji's father Shahaji Bhosale around 1630. Shivaji stayed there with his mother Jijabai for many years.

It was in this Lal Mahal where an encounter happened between Shivaji and Shaista Khan, a Mughal general and maternal uncle of Aurangzeb. Shaista Khan had arrived in Pune with a large army and had captured several palaces and forts around it. Shivaji made a surprise attack on him in the night which made Shaista Khan flee. While fleeing from Lal Mahal, he lost his three fingers in an attack from Shivaji’s sword. After this defeat, he was insulted and was shifted from Pune forever by Aurangzeb. Currently Lal Mahal houses a museum. 




In the same area we can see some heritage buildings like below:




Then I reached Shaniwar Wada. Built in 1732, this was the seat of the great Peshwa Rulers of the Maratha Empire from where they ruled over most part of India for a long period. Inside the fort they had their grand multi-storied palace made from teak wood which was gutted in a fire reportedly started by the British after the later had captured it.


If you have watched the recent movie Bajirao Mastani which is based on the life of Peshwa Bajirao I; the palace shown in the movie is based on the actual palace which was inside Shaniwar Wada - the palace-fort which was built by Peshwa Bajirao I. The river shown in the movie which Peshwa Bajirao sails in a boat in a famous scene, is the Mula-Mutha river in Kasba Peth which is very near to the fort. 





A splendid statue of Peshwa Bajirao I is installed outside the main gate called ‘Dilli Darwaja’ of the Shaniwar Wada.






Some other buildings and scenes which I came across are put below. Some of these are beautiful heritage buildings too. 













The last picture sums up my experience very well – pleasant!

Although I have presented it in images, my experience could best be called poetic. Nothing but poetic. 

Btw, you may also like to see my other blog post capturing images of the temples of Pune which I came across during my visit:



All pictures (C) - Rahul Tiwary


1 comment: