Sunday, September 22, 2024

Travelogue: Pune Local Train System

Local people will be aware but many of us do not even notice that like Mumbai, Pune also has a local train network. It may not be as extensive, but still for the areas it touches, it is pretty good and helpful. I recently had a chance to use a local train boarding at Pune Junction and I was highly impressed with how efficient and time saving the service is. 

Below is a scene from a local unreserved train bogie:  

The local trains have separate reserved bogies for women as well as physically disabled. The trains start at fixed time and reach each station at their designated time. Most of the local stations are small and less crowded and give an "old world" feeling, which is a luxury these days. 

Below is a screenshot showing some of the stations, as taken from NTES website: 


I have travelled in a local train on a weekend and hence I am not aware of how the traffic is during the weekdays which are working days for the employed. 

During the years I was in Mumbai, being a student as well as afterwards, I used the local train network extensively. These trains are not designed for comfort but are highly efficient and time saving mechanism. 

While traveling through a local train in Pune, I noticed that a parallel Metro Rail line was almost getting completed. I do not have information if local train network will be dismantled after Metro lines are fully operational on the same routes, but it is not a bad idea to do so.

And I must add that I travelled about 10 kms on the local train and the train fare was "₹5"! I could not believe my eyes if someone can still travel 10 kms for ₹5 in today's India.  

I won't say that I recommend local trains to anyone, because these days such rugged experiences are frowned upon by the status conscious society, but if you appreciate varied experiences or want to have a feel of old world of Railways today, you can give it a try some day.  

- Rahul Tiwary 

No comments: