Friday, December 29, 2006

#Thoughts: Learning work ethics from a Kachra wallah

We don’t stop learning. We can learn anytime, anywhere, from anyone. That is what is expected from us in our lives. 

We all have heard a lot about the Dabba wallas of Mumbai. The Dabba wallahs deliver Tiffin boxes at the right places with six sigma accuracy. Some days back I came across one person, who made me learn a thing or two on work ethics. 

By Kachra wallah I mean the guy who every morning collects garbage/wastes from door to door in our residential apartments and discharge it to the municipal garbage collection vehicle.

My first encounter with him was interesting. I was taking my morning bath and here someone starts ringing call bell. I needed some time to come out, but hey! He now starts knocking at the door; thinking may be the call bell is not working. After a lot of knocks and some speedy efforts from me, I open the door and find the hero of this story standing there. 

He had put up T-shirt and knickerbockers (trousers ending above knees). Is he a cool dude? Let us go in detail…. 

He was a thin man in his forties, but looking much older. His rickety legs were visible from the knickerbockers. But he had an expressive face. I become annoyed to find that the guy was a kachra wallah.  Before I could speak, he starts off in a loud voice, “Kachra do naa. Kitni baar darwaajaa khatkhataya” (“Give me the garbage. How many times I have knocked at your door!”). 

What? I lose my cool and tell him that if I don’t turn up, he can’t force me to give it to him. I smiled at my own statement. But he is not convinced and asks me to hurry up. 

From that day onwards, he comes to my door and knocks until I appear; either I give him his beloved kachra or I tell him that I didn’t generate any! Now onwards, I will call him GMan – Garbage Man (this is different from Gmale/Gmail :). 

After some days, he observes that he is not able to collect garbage from my flat, as by the time he comes to the ground floor, collecting garbage from all the upper floors, I am out of the house (for office). To my amazement, now he started collecting garbage from lower to upper floors! He continued in this absurd manner (he has to carry the load upwards) for one month. Then one day, someone from the society scolded him for doing that the unconventional way. He asked our guy to collect downwards only. Our GMan found merit in that and now I see him only 4 times a week. 

One day, I saw him carrying his garbage basket out from our housing society. Then suddenly he stopped. There were some plastic wrappers lying at some distance. He collects them and put them into his basket. Then he carries on. This I not expected, because cleaning the lawn is the responsibility of someone else! This makes me think a little more about him…..

When I think, I can easily count several traits that make his case a perfect example of good work ethics:   

  • He is punctual at his work, and never absent.
  • He is passionate for his job. He is ready to argue and will get the job done at any cost. GMan stays at my door, unless I appear.
  • To satisfy his customers, he is flexible, even if that cause him some pain. GMan carries the garbage up the ladder, so that he doesn’t miss one flat on the ground.
  • He listens to others and is ready to change if he finds merit in that. GMan changed his path again upwards, because that was the efficient method.
  • He goes beyond his defined job responsibility. GMan is ready to pick up the garbage from the ground, which is actually assigned to some other person.
  • He doesn’t want to be praised. He is content with the timely completion of his work. No one praises GMan for his good work.
  • Am I going too far, in extracting something called “good work ethics” out of our GMan? What is a work ethic? “The work ethic is a cultural norm that advocates being personally accountable and responsible for the work that one does and is based on a belief that work has intrinsic value.” Read this definition, and I am proud to come across this GMan – a perfect example or good work ethic. 

I still don’t know his real name. But now I do some Googling. Do you know what they call our Kachra Wallahs in the US? In the US, he is also called Waste collector, Garbage man, Garbage collector, Trash collector, or Sanitation engineer. The last name will provide our GMan some inspiration.

- Rahul

----------------------------------------------------------

Laxmi
June 15, 2009 at 5:53 pm ·
very interesting blog …………………..hmmm my GWOMAN IS NOT DAT ETHICAL……….but i hv learnt from ur Gman……………sanitation engineer really good one!

Thohe Pou
July 23, 2007 at 2:54 pm ·
“All those who do not have work ethics are those who have brain to work but no etiquette to work with others” -thohe

angel a
June 1, 2007 at 11:16 pm ·
Eye opening post Rahul….I truly loved it.. Hope we all learn some work ethic from your Gman.. Not forgetting the fact that he gets so less for all the efforts he puts in, while we so called civilized ppl take home fat salaries yet, use office technology for personal work.. Warm regards, Angel

shivani narula
April 9, 2007 at 10:16 am ·
this was a very good example of work ethics reminds me of gandhiji……thanks for sharing

KR
March 24, 2007 at 7:49 pm ·
I got to read best of the the bests- this one. the article had all colours of amusement, pity, guilt and of course inspiration. sometimes i think, you were vivekananda in your previous birth, with the difference that he could speak amazingly without any labour and you can write.

Yashvant
March 24, 2007 at 7:41 pm ·
Dear Rahul,
This is a very good and thought provoking article. Congratulations. I think you should contact some leading newspapers to publish it.. I feel you are going in the eight direction.. try to write some more articles. I am sure you will become a famous writer one day.. my whole hearted best wishes..

CM Verma
March 24, 2007 at 7:41 pm ·
Rahul has a deep touch with sourrounding & esp towards india and this one is a new chapter adding to that..
very nice..
i always enjoy reading that..
keep continue..

BG
March 24, 2007 at 7:40 pm ·
A good attempt.
Is it his love of the job / responsibility / ethics / moral values or the uncertainty surrounding his job ? There is always an element of need which inspires individual behaviour. Good work ethics originate from inner strength and understanding.
Dabbawallas is a classic example of the “System design” – people working there are bound by the system and carry out a samll activity contributing only to that extent, they may not be responsible for the entire system efficiency.
Adarsh
March 24, 2007 at 7:40 pm ·
It is a gr8 piece to read . But certainly it has some inspirational values in it .
I think we shd try to pick up these values in our life also.

PP
March 24, 2007 at 7:40 pm ·
Very Good article. Why don't you send this to one of our leading newspapers.
I appreciate your creativity.

D. Shekhar
March 24, 2007 at 7:38 pm ·
Hi Rahul,
“Work Ethics” seems a heavy term.But it is just about the way one takes one”s duty.The “one” can be anyone from Gman to CEO of some mamoth organization.
There is always a scope to learn from each and every individual.I would really appreciate that you zeroed in on Gmans who are generally ignored and their work are not perceived respectfully.
In the last paragraph, you have used “Sanitation engineer” for Gman.The new name will give them a bit of pride.But if we could do something concrete and material to salute their Work Ethics,to well – feed and educate their children then they will always beem with pride and love for their work, with their heads high.Rickety legs can not bear the weight of this pride for long.Why not to cure this malnutrition.
I would like if you come up with some encouragement plan for them in your next article.

Raghu
March 24, 2007 at 7:37 pm ·
Dear Rahul,
Before commenting on the piece you wrote, I really appreciate you, for sharing your thoughts from day-to day experiences.
You are on right path, trying to figure out learning from whatever experiences you are facing. No doubt your thought process is open with no discrimination at all on the basis,.. whom you take it from. Logic coupled with wisdom is what you are using at its best.
Now coming to feedback zone to your mail. My leanings as under.
1. I think everyone is unique, not for the matter what job(your Gman) or one”s doing.
2. You can learn from anything/anyone, if it benefits you or generates novel ideas in self/ impacts society positively.
3. Discrimination on one”s status in society, blocks you out. This really don”t help learning.
4. Work ethics(Good….also Bad) can be a chain reaction, can make or brake yourself/organisation/community/locality.
In the process of writing feedback, I feel mentally I am conditioning my brains towards useful thoughts.

Ghosh
March 24, 2007 at 7:36 pm ·
Nice One. I do believe that you have the capacity to see things in objective way, learn from the incidents and not only that share with others.
Hope you may compile all these and publish in form of a book some day.

B. Sharma
March 24, 2007 at 7:35 pm ·
Let me appreciate your views as you could have seen the most neglected activity but the most important. I agree with your views that these type of persons must be loved and respected for their inspiration. But instead of Sanitation Engineer would it not be better to call him “Karmyogi”.

M. T. Rao
March 24, 2007 at 7:35 pm ·
Good to learn things from any good source.

Ankur
March 24, 2007 at 7:34 pm ·
I found it quite interesting

D. Khosla
March 24, 2007 at 7:22 pm ·
Good observation once again…
Can”t think of any comments…rt now…will surely post the same to you, if at all I strike it…

Rashmi
March 24, 2007 at 7:21 pm ·
hey,
Dont have any review to give but sure u are a good observer and know how to extricate the gud out of anything!!!

Chandan
March 24, 2007 at 7:21 pm ·
This articles of yours reinstates that how keen observer you are.
taking something good out of futile things like G-Man is truly remarkable.
this idea is also fresh and original – no plagiarism.
This is very much our own style – the rahul style.
I would love to read few more articles like this.

Srinivas
March 24, 2007 at 7:21 pm ·
This Gman example is one the very good example of work ethics. One should have that passionate about his work. IF some body is not motivated towards his job than he will not put his 100% and simultaneously he may not be able to motivate others.

R. Sinha
March 24, 2007 at 7:20 pm ·
Hey rahul, this is really a good piece of writing. You write well.
Moreover lots of inspiration from your writings. Keep it up dear.

Arpita
March 24, 2007 at 7:18 pm ·
Very nice article yaar!! really !! The same thing I face everyday in my flat also but I never thought so much about it.. and I have also started thinking about them… they are really punctual and they get their work done at any cost.
Nice observation Rahul !! Keep it up…

Sai
March 24, 2007 at 7:16 pm ·
good morale booster rahul….continue writing….

R. Mohanti
March 24, 2007 at 7:16 pm ·
I want this to share with my close friends. Will you permit me pl.

H. Jaiswal
March 24, 2007 at 7:16 pm ·
Hi
Do you write this by your own ? I mean to say do you realy feel things in
such manner . Nice peice of writing . GOOD if it is your original thoughts .

Jitendra
March 24, 2007 at 7:14 pm ·
preety good insight…..and i enjoyed reading it. Acha hai kuch kuch likhte raho…..that will further improve your skills and persona. really nice one. thanks

Sarita
March 24, 2007 at 7:12 pm ·
I always appreciate your observation and passion to learn from small small things. Hey its great and not all can do that

Name
February 25, 2007 at 6:38 pm ·
An inspirational piece of writing Rahul My hats of to person who had inspired you to write this piece – the Kachara Wala

ravikiran
February 24, 2007 at 6:13 pm ·
Lot of people do great work for society but we dont recognize the contribution they make, this is a classic example. Look at it this was what if Garbage collector, plumber…. refuse to come to work, they is going to be lot of dirt and water coming out ;)
So if v cant give them rise evry year we can atleast make sure their contribution doesnt go unnoticed…

Niharika Bose
January 12, 2007 at 5:22 pm ·
comments not found

siddharth arora
December 28, 2006 at 4:34 pm ·
comments not found

No comments: