Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Rainy days are here again

The key to happiness is to like what we have got, and not in longing for what we could have. 

The day I arrived in Mumbai, the first rain of the season started. It rained and rained afterwards to the extent that Mumbai lifeline local trains stopped, schools got closed and offices wound up before the usual time. Streets were flooded and newspapers were flooded too with news and views about rains. Water is a great leveler. It makes all the plains and holes to look at the same level. It levels all the different classes, as they are all talking about the same thing. It levels all the religions as all are praying for a common purpose. ‘rain rain, go away… come again another day…’. It has rained to the extent that Umesh says “U for Umbrella” over phone to a client. 

I don’t like rains

Frankly speaking, I don’t like rains. So I don’t understand the craziness when some people love to go out in the rain… I don’t call rain a very natural condition for humans, but it does wet-cleaning to some of our managerial skills. For example, in the rainy days we always plan and schedule almost all our activities to remain high-and-dry. We help someone on the streets. We develop compassion for that old lady in all the mess. Some of us become quality personnel, with concern over hygiene. We learn to look the world differently. I feel the world itself is different during rainy season. 

Down with the rain

I still don’t know how to counter the argument in a passage from my school book “Don’t be like water; it has a natural tendency to go down. Rivers start from mountain tops, go down and down until they end up in a salty sea, thereby losing their identities.” But when I tell my colleagues here that I don’t like getting wet, that I feel my umbrella is not sufficiently large, that I shall wait for the rain to stop, that we should have a hot air blow in the office to dry our cloths (I even suggested recycling hot air exhaust from ACs for the purpose), they say “It doesn’t matter whether you like it or not; there is no choice!”. 

I do like rains

It is true. For much of my disappointment, there is no choice. I can’t control the rains, but wait, I can control my own feelings about rains. So let me say I like rains. Yes, I like rains….. I like everything associated with rains, all those raindrops, rainbows, greenery, sound, paper boats, raincoats, umbrellas, holidays, water, drain, mud; I like anything associated with rains. I like rains.  

Surprisingly, it has stopped raining after I said this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eureka mind
June 28, 2008 at 1:13 pm ·
great writing skills … and good post.

Uma Nair
May 17, 2008 at 7:12 pm ·
beautifully written…………… I like rain very much………esp. the fragrance of the soil which comes when few drops of rain touch the land, jumping in pail of water………… the list will goes on…………. I can”t say rain rain go away………..:)

Bad Angel
June 9, 2007 at 3:04 pm ·
I don”t mind the rains when I am indoors with a cuppa but when I venture out I NEED a clear sky. Else am all cribbing!

shivani narula
April 25, 2007 at 6:39 pm ·
i have a different perspective on rain..

KR
March 26, 2007 at 6:24 pm ·
I really agree with all your friends that your articles are absolutely marvellous. i believe that you write in even more interesting and of course decent way compared to chetan bhagat.

Rajat
March 26, 2007 at 6:10 pm ·
hey ur writing skills r damn good man.. the quotations and explanations all r awesome.. keep it up..

Sonal
March 26, 2007 at 6:10 pm ·
There is one suggestion.Please write a novel.Your language and expression are gifted and you”d be successful like Chetan Bhagat once your novel is published.

Rania
March 26, 2007 at 6:08 pm ·
Of course now we have summer with a hot weather (temperature a round 33 C SO I TRIED TO FIND A NOTHER WAY TO FEEL RELAX & HAPPY ( leaving the offiice & take a long holiday then find a good place to stay there until I feel better ! (of course this cost more money but no way ! ).

Rania
March 26, 2007 at 6:08 pm ·
I wonder why you hate the rain , here we pray for rain , & you can ask
Allah(God) any thing while it”s raining (from honest heart & reading holy
Qur”an) & for sure he will reply.
I like to walk under rain very much this makes me feel many feeling (may i can”t describe this well because of my english not strong enough) , some times you feel your heart become smaller & smaller you can”t breath well , walking under rain makes you feel your heart become larger & larger , you feel you are stronger & your sadness ran away slowly & slowly , then suddenly you feel you are very cold because you will have completely wet clothes , you will run a way to your home with the best felling ( if you don”t take a cold!) , may it seems to be crazy to do so but really i always do that when i feel very sad & all the world against me , then i returned happier than before & more relax.

Sangeeta
March 26, 2007 at 6:06 pm ·
Read your article & realized that you really have a flair for writing ……………………….tell me something ,do you write diary on a regular basis ?…if not ….u should try to find out some time from your busy schedule & express yourself in those white sheets.
I think we all have a mixed feeling about rain.On a rainy day it is nice if we are at home with our near & dear ones,watching TV or listening to good music while munching some bhajjis……………..also one feels great to watch monsoon pouring in the streets from the top floor balcony.On the other hand ,we hate rain when we are strangled in the middle of waterlogged street deperately waiting to get hold of a cab to reach home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arun M
March 26, 2007 at 6:04 pm ·
Great Yaar!! You are an inborn writer and great prospects waiting for you if you are serious about it.

Arpita
March 26, 2007 at 6:04 pm ·
Nice one !! you have expressed everything very nicely….. sometimes I feel that it would be better if you could have become a writter or journalist…. whatever you do, you do it with full perfection….. that is the best part of your nature.

Annu
March 26, 2007 at 6:03 pm ·
Beautifully written….The passage has made a subtle reflection of your feelings and has been potrayed in a right manner….
Some grammatical correctness needs some emphasis to have an essence of perfectness in your writing….viz…there is no back with returned…..no other choice can be substituted with “Hobson”s Choice”..etc etc…
Yeah, you have broaden your thinking process by citing good examples/phrases…..
Keep it high….try something on writing poems….it would definitely have a positive impact on oneself….I used to write some during my school days…but apparently stopped as career planned forced me to stoop in some other activities….anyway, this may be a lame excuse…

Khosla
March 26, 2007 at 5:51 pm ·
another beautiful article from your side. It is good to se that you have acclimatized with the Mumbai rains. Your next traget should be the Mumbai TRAINS….especially after the recent blasts that shocked the city….

Agnes
March 26, 2007 at 5:49 pm ·
Thank you for your mail. Life is so much different here (in France) but I can ensure you that people here do not like rain either, even if rain is really no big deal here.

Jitendra
March 26, 2007 at 5:47 pm ·
yaar tum hamesha emotional kyo rehta hai

Akhilesh
March 26, 2007 at 5:47 pm ·
someday you will be a great writer…

Arif
March 26, 2007 at 5:43 pm ·
Thats a nicely written part..
Iloved to read it..except for the fact that I do love water :)

No comments: