Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Surname

Although I had shifted to my present housing/flat two months ago, I hadn’t met any of my neighbors yet. Last Sunday, I realized this and here I was at the door of the flat opposite to mine.  

A boy opens the door. I ask him to call his father or mother: "May I get to meet uncle or aunt?"

A person in his 50s comes up without his shirt over his vest. He seems to be coming out of the kitchen, where he must be cooking. I hate those men who cook regularly :). Anyways, here I go:  

I told him that I hadn't seen anyone in the apartment despite spending two months there, so I had pressed his call bell. "If you are busy with dinner or something, I may come tomorrow".

"Ya. Busy... Actually I was watching TV. OK, you come tomorrow."

Such a short meeting!.. No problem, at least I broke the jinx. . .  

Then he asks, "Do you work somewhere?" 

"Yes, I work at ... company. The office is on the ... chowk. You know that?"

"OK I see. I am a contractor at ... Corporation.. What is your surname?" 

Surname?...... SURNAME?........ S-U-R-N-A-M-E? I still don't know how to justify anyone asking this question. 

The man continued, "You see.. (He brings the nameplate on the door in front of my face) "I am D.R. Yadav and we are Maharashtrians".

I replied looking in his eyes (for his reaction).. "My name is... And I am from outside Maharashtra. OK, we shall meet again." 

"Yes, sometime in the morning."

"Actually I leave for office by 8.30 in the morning. I will meet you in the evening." 

"OK"

Both of us knew that we shall not meet the next morning or the next evening. And we have not met again.

- Rahul

***

Post Script in year 2019: The above piece was written in year 2006. After 12 years and gaining much grey hair, I see this episode differently. Way back in 2006 when I was in my 20s, I was offended when asked for my "surname". Although with experience I have seen that a lot of times people who are asking this question do not have any malice in their heart; they may just be looking for a "connection" - that is all. But I agree, that not everyone is same and hence this remains a contentious issue. 

No comments: