Sunday, August 1, 2010

Personal: Memories of those fateful days

In those days I was studying in the 12th. I and another cousin (brother) used to stay in the same room. It was winter at that time. One morning, while he was heating bathing water with an electrical heating rod, we had a discussion about the device. I said that I would check if the water was hot by touching it while power was on. He asked me not to do so otherwise I would get an electric shock. I had read about the heating effect of current and I said that I believed there should not be actual currents running in the water but it was the rod which was heated and conducted heat to the water. When he didn’t agree, I said that I would demonstrate it. I went ahead and touched the water. He didn’t stop me from doing so. When I touched the water I didn’t get any shock. He was surprised and checked the heater. And he said, “Rahul, God saved your life. The plug was not fitted well.” Later on, I realised that I had a near miss. I don’t know what would have happened if I really touched the water while current ran through it.
 
Afterwards, I had at least two serious near death experiences in my life. Once I had a close pass from a luggage train. And another time my motorbike slipped on a crossing of a highway, and thanks to my helmet I was saved because my head (helmet) banged on the road many times. Also, fatefully, there were no trucks on the road at that time.
 
Our life is full of uncertainties. No matter how much we try to control the events, we won’t be 100% successful. Those who think of themselves as too powerful should think about the kings who have died having fallen from a staircase or from a horseback. It makes us realise the importance of the good days in our life. We should be grateful to the fate or to the God that we are safe, alive, and in a state of peace. Because, the good days are neither permanent nor given.

No comments: