Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New Beginning for me in Volunteering


Donating old clothes and some usable items like toys and utensils is a very good idea. Often we have the will but don’t find the opportunity. There are many NGOs who specialize in facilitating in that. I knew of a very good NGO which ran a campaign to collect old clothes in cities and then reach it to remote and needy people for ‘cloth for work’ scheme. It has also won many awards, including a Best NGO and a World Bank award. They have a collection center or warehouse in my city, but that is far from our office. So here is what I thought and made a scheme: 

I talked to them and offered myself as a volunteer. I planned to collect old clothes and items from my colleagues and friends, and would deposit those to their collection center in the weekends. They have agreed to my offer and gave the necessary details. 

So I have informed my colleagues and friends that anytime if they want to donate old clothes and some usable items for the poor, they could feel free to contact me. I shall make sure the items reach the NGO. I am not posting the specific details like name of the NGO and address; would like to pass these to those who are interested. 

This is my first proper social initiative. So far I have tried to be part of some one-off social campaigns and also contributed monetarily, but this time I wish to contribute my efforts, selflessly, with a plan… 

Regards,

Rahul


No comments: