Sunday, June 24, 2001

Book Review: The Difference Maker by John C. Maxwell



‘The Difference Maker’
By John C. Maxwell
Pearson Power

When I picked up this book, I thought it was “just another book on self-help”. But just flipping over the cover, I found an acknowledgement which made me ponder. I met the first author I have read who dedicated his book to his “assistants”! And the same spirit is reflected all through the pages… It’s a different book offering a fresh take on a popular but ever-green topic. 

The center point of this book deals with our “attitude”. The author says that the attitude is the “difference maker”, which results in two people with the same skills and abilities in the same situation ending up with two totally different outcomes. John. Maxwell, a leadership expert, has done a very good work with it.

The first half of the book deals with the source of our attitude, the limitations of attitude (not to take it as an alternative for skills), the power of attitude and how can we make our attitude our biggest asset. The second half deals with topics like discouragement, change, problems, fear, and failure, which are obstacles for having a positive attitude. I found it a very practical and eye opening book; very refreshing and engaging.  

I highly recommend this book to all.

- Rahul

No comments: