Friday, August 12, 2011

Challenges in Sharing Knowledge


Recently I published an article at the knowledge portal of our company. As a custom, I was suggested by colleagues to post an email to our group, announcing and informing them about the document. When I sent the email, I also marked a copy to a very senior person who was practice-head at our location. While I got applause and congratulations from my ‘friends’ (with whom I shared a friendly bond at work-place) some of the colleagues with whom I had only a professional relationship (due to the fact that we didn’t go along due to many reasons like difference in nature and attitude), I had a surprise in store. Many such colleagues, instead of saying anything in appreciation or support, pointed towards the fact that I had marked my email to the senior person, and made it a point for me to know about their objection towards it. It was shocking and disappointing. I wonder if people can’t add value or do something constructive, why can’t they contain themselves from doing something negative. This habit which I think stems from a host of feelings like envy, jealousy and inferiority complex, tries to discourage a person who has done anything new. If someone sends me a document sharing his/her knowledge, would I try to find mistakes in the email content or address itself, rather than saying anything in thanks or appreciation? Some of my colleagues have taught me now that when we do something good, we should also be ready to face some out-of-the-box scenarios like this, too.

© Rahul

No comments: