Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Club in my Company

Being an IT company gives it many advantages. The prime one is in how the company can use technology to enhance the experience of all its stakeholders including its employees. I have the privilege of being part of an IT organization which is one of the highly respected companies of the world. Recently I noticed a small peg in its scheme of things. I noticed that we have a portal called “Book Club”, which is DC (Development Center)-specific. On this online portal which can be accessed from inside the company, employees can list the books (title, author, category, comment/review), along with the ‘availability’. The books should be the ones which they want to lend to their fellow colleagues. I just listed my two books there through a very user-friendly interface. My email ID is now displayed alone with my books. If anyone visits the portal, scans through the books and is interested in reading the book I own, one can simply email me saying so and I would bring the book to lend it to him/her. One will have to return it back to me in proper condition (there are rules to safeguard the owners), within two weeks.

Another great feature is that even books from languages other than English are allowed to be listed there. As are the religious books too – all under proper categories that helps the search feature. I now plan to list some very enlightening Hindi books on our portal.

Over two thousand books are listed there, which are all posted by employees of my DC (location). Using a simple menu, we can change the status (availability) of the books, or can even delete the books from the menu if we no longer want to lend to others. I really appreciate the fact that how this use of a simple technology (in designing this portal) has contributed a lot to make something which is so positive and benefiting!

I wish more and more companies work on these lines. One, we shall have people helping each other rather than looking outside for help, and second, with easily available books we shall make a better learned society.

- Rahul

1 comment:

mandeep said...

Thanks for the info. was not aware of this.....