Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Adi Shankaracharya

Today is Adi Shankaracharya's birthday. He wrote in 'Bhaja Govindam': "Don't show pride on wealth, youth and relatives. They are taken away by time in a moment. All these are illusions. Renounce them. Enter Brahman (the Supreme Self) after knowing him." 

I think whenever we are faced with situations where we are not getting what we want, or things don't happen as we like, then we should realize that these may be God's message for us to do some self-reflection and course correction. All the material achievements of the world and all the pride are illusions if we look in a way... Most of the time we are lost in the chaos of the material world. Whenever we are not happy, we should think of what really happiness is? Whenever we do not get our goals, we should think of what is the real goal of our life? ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.
Love Bhaja Govindam.
I read it often.
This is composed by the very founder, authority on Advaita!!!
I am also learning Sanskrit and I feel in some lifetime B.G. was written on me...lolz
Which means I am finding it bit hard to learn Sanskrit right now :-(

Rahul said...

In school days I found it too difficult. Then in high school (9th), since it was part of board exams, I joined a Sanskrit teacher and he taught it so easily and I became so well versed in it (I agree that learning it is like mathematics and I was good in both), and it appeared so easy to me... Later since I don't use it I have forgotten much of grammar..

Anonymous said...

I used to get 100/100.
So I was VERY cocky when I started the classes.
And I was WRONG in most of my answers. Serves me right. It was embarrassing. It has been 25 some years. So I guess I am not rusty but have completely forgotten it!! There can be no Vedanta learning without learning this most beautiful, scientific language. Even in two lessons, I appreciate the thought process in creating this language. Simply mind blowing. Very scientific. IN other words VERY DIVINE!! Only bhagvan could think of such perfection . Do google NASA and Sanskrit. See what you come up with. Amazing. Only people from outsde will appreciate 'our' stuff :-(

Rahul said...

Yes... Thanks a lot for sharing here...