Thursday, November 20, 2014

Book Reading: Good or Bad?

I am certainly a book-lover; and since it is always fashionable to say books are our best friends I might have said that too sometimes. But at times I feel books have also been my enemy. In my growing years, when I read a few on Psychology for example, books gave me a feeling as if I “knew it all” after reading those. Now I feel books give pseudo feeling that we have become learned after reading.

I like to observe little things. I know everyone claims to be sensitive, since it is good to say so and it is true also to some extent, but does everyone really “care” about sensitivity? Books made me consider all people as reasonable individuals with sensible thinking; but real life has been urging me to “unlearn” these things.

I have so many friends who have not read many books but know this world better than any book-readers. And I respect them for not reading books; most books are anyway second-hand opinion. I guess this is why they made terms like “bookish” with a basic premise that this world is not as they write in books.

I think I love Shahid Bhagat Singh’s view on books best – reading a book is a conversation with the writer. Nothing more than that…

(C) Rahul

No comments: