Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Television: Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 5; The Bells. And the USA Connection to Daenerys Continues

In my last blog post I compared Daenerys Targaryen to the USA because both of them joined other people's war for the greater good of the humanity. At that time I had not watched Episode 5 "The Bells" of Game of Thrones Season 8. I watched it today on TV (Star World) and I feel I stand vindicated and how closer to the truth I was yesterday or have been all along about Daenerys. 

First; the way Daenerys burnt the whole city, killing men, women and children alike; in order to give a message for generations to come; how similarly the USA had dropped Nuclear Bombs over Japan, killing men, women and children alike and also crippling them for future generations. This total devastation looked hellish at that time but it changed the course of history for Japan which turned out to be totally non-violent and focusing on constructive things there onward. I am not justifying it and I still do not think dropping of the Nuclear Bombs was the best option. But it did produce an effect. 

And the way Arya Stark went on a mission to assassinate Cersei looks like the assassination attempts made on Adolf Hitler. There are several movies about that. But since Arya could not kill Cersei in time; total devastation of the city happened. Similarly, had the assassination attempts on Adolf Hitler been successful, may be the world would not have seen a World War. 

The second aspect I was right all along was on my hunch feeling that I did not like Daenerys Targaryen at all. I did not like her from the beginning. I did not like the way she killed people; took decisions or took her revenge. I have written about it in my previous blog posts. The way she destroyed the whole city was total madness and pure lapse of judgement. She may try to prove herself right and to justify what she did, the fact is that there was a moment when she could have chosen to stop (when the bells had rung) and could have gotten Cersei arrested (and later executed). In that way, the goal would have been reached without total devastation. But she chose to do what she did best - burn things. That does not make her any good queen; forget about "leaving the world a better place than we found it". 

Anyways, the way things turned out to be might be regrettable but the way future would judge the past would be totally subjective. And hence there would always be hope. 

- Rahul Tiwary

No comments: