Friday, January 27, 2023

Book Review: Some Very Dignified Disclosures, by Anumita Sharma

 


At the beginning of the year, I had decided to get back to my old habit of reading books. I have been a voracious reader for quite many years but in the recent times, due to reasons best described as ‘mid life crisis’, I dropped this hobby. I even planned to sell the still-wrapped, unread books from my home library, or give it away. But thanks to a lack of opportunity, I did not act on such heartless adventures. So, one day `I just opened my book-shelf and picked one unread book. And the first one to start the year was an interesting book I had bought some years ago and had forgotten about it, “Some Very Dignified Disclosures” by author Anumita Sharma.

The first thing that hits you once you pick up this book, is its title which sounds so aristocratic. Who gives such titles to books in the era of generation X, Y and Z? But going through the book, the title is totally justified. The author proves her mantle more than anyone in her place could. At the start, I wondered how many days I would take to finish this novel of 253 pages long. And I was astonished that it took me only 4 days to finish it.

Once I started reading the books, many things started hitting (surprising) me. I realized that the story is set in the same part where my hometown is, and even I share similar kind of family setup in which the protagonist of the book came from. The protagonist of the book could very well be my neighbor at cthe hometown I never talked to. I don’t recall any book written by another person from my hometown or nearby, or from someone from my community or similar, and in the form of such a wonderful book. But coming ‘close’ to the fictitious central character, I can definitely judge the story, its characters, themes and cultural nuances better. And I would give 10/10 to this book. Or even 15 out of 10 if it were possible.

Next thing which hit me was the fact that we are used to read novels written by male writers and protagonists are typically male too; and it is easier for readers like me to identify with a man as the story goes on. But here, the protagonist was not only a girl; but a girl who looked at everything from such a different perspective and reacted in such a different manner, that I could not “go along” with the character even for few moments. There are male characters in the book, but none of them are righteous or of some virtues.  

I have never come across someone who wrote a novel in this kind of language (English). Simple and mundane things are given color and purpose, thanks to the keen eyes of the writer. The book deserves a Booker Prize and nothing less. Let me give some examples and excerpts, picked randomly:

“Two days later Uncle returned, too, like a ghost himself, he looked lost, his brown trousers sagged, and white shirt was splattered with mud. He had grey-black stubble, his moustache dropped, half moons under his sunken eyes were bigger than the sun, he looked like an overripe mango, squelched and bruised. He wasn’t bad to look at, his height was medium, nose almost Grecian, his eyes were brown as I remembered, and he had a cleft chin.” (Page-91)

Those who say that “a picture tells a thousand words”, have not read this book for sure. A thousand pictures can also not sum up what this author tells in one paragraph in this book.

The author does poetic justice with female characters too:

“She gauged me critically from her bumpy seat in the carriage, opened her mouth to say something at least twice, but then lapsed into wailing. By the time we reached the village her howls were louder, so much so, that many people were watching us from rooftops, and stray dogs were trailing her cart.” (Page 120-21)

Now, if there was no “stray dog” in above episode, it won’t have the same impact. The scenes described in this book appear so accurate, elaborate and perfect and this book is a masterpiece.

The only thing I can complain about is perhaps the ‘adult’ content in some parts, which could have been replaced with more subtle descriptions. But having read many great authors, I think it is part of the parcel, especially since this is "coming of age" story.

Now, having read the whole story which is captivating, fresh and of great quality, if I try to analyze few aspects of the central character, Roli, the girl: I was surprised at the lack of relationships or empathy for other characters in her. For example, she loses her mother whom she idolizes and the purest and deepest love between a daughter and a mother has been described so well in this book. But, the daughter does not miss her father at all! She hardly remembers him, hardly feels any sympathy while he rots in jails and his whole life is wasted due to a moment’s mistake and crime which happened in the heat of the moment. I expected the girl to show some change of heart when she grows older, but no; she is not ready to change. She shows the same lack of empathy towards her brother too. She definitely cares about him, that is why she notices when he wanders behind his ‘new mother’ like a pet, but was it not necessary for him to get some affection? When she lost her mother to fate, and then father to the law, her baby brother lost his mother and father too. While she had a greater understanding of things around her, the boy was merely a baby when the disaster happened. Later, when he fell into drugs, again she sees but does not try to stop him. And in the end, when she has a good job in the city, I expected her to try to take her brother and stepmother away to the city to live with her, but she merely visited the village to “see” how things were with no intention to “help” change the situation. That was apathetic. If she tried but they did not allow her to help them, it was a different matter. But she did not even try. Not even to help her brother. Plus, she talked about feminism and its influence, but looking at the manner in which she hated her step-mother who was a woman too, and pitied a poor woman Chandra as if she was less than a human in terms of dignity, it does not look well. If she could not help or feel sympathy for male characters like father/brother, it could be understood. But no sympathy for her stepmother and women like Chandra shows that she was a victim of ‘bias’ too due to which society looks down on certain members.

“Some very dignified disclosures” is a splendid novel and I highly recommend it for a fresh, captivating read.

- Rahul 


No comments: