Sunday, January 1, 2023

Good Bye 2022

 

One more year has gone by. Being on the ‘wrong side’ of age, passing of a year does not feel like making us ‘better’ anymore. I remember my ‘yearly review’ posts which I used to make till a few years back, and I can recall the good feeling about those. I mainly listed major achievements and life events, and definitely did not share any negative or too personal happenings. It made those posts look better and I was not honest in that regard. But I know we all can decide about the boundaries up to which people can know.

Now, I started year 2022 by being in my hometown and I spent about half of the year at hometown and half in the city. And at the beginning of the year, I entered into an agreement with a ‘builder’ who happened to go back on his promise and cheated me. I decided to file a court case and got good exposure to the whole life behind those walls. And I won’t recommend that to anyone, if it can be avoided, because all those cries of Sunny Deol in some movie, “Tarikh pe Tarikh” is absolutely true. So, the court case against the builder is running its hopeless life, and I gained some experience which I would have rather avoided. Also at the beginning of the year, I made a career move for which I was mentally prepared for over last 2.5 years. It is an epic story in itself, culminating in a climax, nothing short of a thriller. I came out victorious, against many odds, and it felt really good. Apart from that, I procured a motorcycle I was planning to get for some time, and it felt really good. I enjoy motorbikes and the freedom it brings. Even in my childhood, I was very fond of my bicycle. I also got a piece of furniture at home which I was thinking about for quite some time. I got it in perfect shape, design and budget; with no regrets, and exactly what qualifies as a ‘good buy’. Apart from these, there were some property related transactions which were also very important and got done with this year. I am also close to two more tasks which I plant to finish soon into 2023. So, several items went off from ‘To-Do’ list and hence the year was productive one in that regard. On personal front, the “hill to climb” still continues; and in that aspect, the year seems one more wasted year and nothing more.

I do not have much high hopes for 2023. Still, I have a few things on my mind and hopefully, those should get done soon.

After a certain age, we are able to look back at the years gone by and think what we could do differently. I have some key learnings on that, which I can’t correct now, since there is no way to rewind time. But, I wish I did not listen to others and did only what I thought was right, because time has proven that if I had trusted my own instincts, things would have been alright. I remember my time since childhood, and I can immediately feel how closer to God I was; how strong were my ideals and morals which did not allow me to make mistakes and do any harm to any other. But, as some people say, our life also depends on the kind of people we are living with, and their mistakes and decisions can impact our own life too. And it has been a huge disappointment in that regard. I still have faith in God, if he ever choses to reward me for my good conduct. To punish our obedient child must also be difficult for God, I guess.

While thinking about the old and the new year, I have also realized how I left my hobby of reading books a few years back. I think I also have been a victim of ‘peaking out early’. I plan to get back and start reading leisurely, like the old days - the glorious, good days, full of hopes and positivity.

Welcome, 2023.  

- Rahul   

No comments: