Thursday, December 20, 2001

Book Review: Myth = Mithya by Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik


‘Myth = Mithya: A Handbook of Hindu Mythology’
By Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik
Penguin
ISBN 0143099701; ISBN 13: 9780143099703

Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik is one of India’s most popular present day mythologists. My curiosity to know more about Hinduism and to get real meaning of our mythology or the inherent symbolism found a savior in him. His pen is so powerful, knowledge so deep and expression so simple that I think he is changing the way we look at Hinduism and Hindus, and revitalizing the world’s interest in Hinduism and India.

‘Myth = Mithya” is aptly termed a Handbook of Hindu Mythology. In its pages you would find descriptions and elaborations on numerous Hindu mythological stories and their real meanings and symbolism. I think this is one book which has given me most knowledge points per page than any other book I have ever read.

In my opinion this book is a must read and must kept book for all Hindus or anyone really interested in understanding Hinduism.

- Rahul

No comments: