Monday, December 10, 2001

Book Review: Shiva Plays Dumb Charades by Devdutt Pattanaik


‘Fun in Devlok: Shiva Plays Dumb Charades’
By: Devdutt Pattanaik
Puffin Books
ISBN 978-0-143-33169-8

Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik is one of India’s most popular present day mythologists. I am a big fan of his writings and I picked up this book looking at its curious title. In his “Fun in Devlok” series of books which he has written for the children, Dr. Pattanaik tells simple and very interesting mythological stories explaining concepts in the easiest ways for children to grasp.

“Shiva Plays Dumb Charades” is set into a home where a group of children are playing the game of dumb charades. Suddenly, Lord Shiva, the ultimate and Supreme God, appears in front of them and becomes a participant. Next, as they all play Dumb Charades, the children get to know the real meanings of the symbols, gestures and portraits of Lord Shiva as seen in the Nataraj form. I found myself unable in explaining many of those concepts and this book was an enlightening read for me too.

The book is full of sketches friendly to children and font sizes are big. I found the back cover mentioning that the book is for children above 6 years age. Since I am also above 6 years of age, so I hope no one gives me a curious look if I collect all the books in this series for myself!

It’s a wonderful gift to children and an enlightening read for all. I highly recommend it to everyone.

- Rahul

No comments: