Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lessons from Ramayana – Part 19

Leaving the body when purpose is over
At two places in Ramayana, I found instances of rishis entering into fire in order to get them free from their bodies. But in both the cases, they were very sure about their purpose having finished, after years of penances and collecting strength through Yoga. The same is not applicable to people like us.

When the princes came, Sabari produced the fruits she had gathered and kept for them, and described and showed to them the wonders of the Matang aashrama. Then with their leave, she kindled a fire and entering it ascended to heaven.

(C. Rajagopalachari; Ramayana; Chap XL, Left eyelids throbe; P258)

They proceeded to the aashrama of Sarabhanga. Indra was there with other gods, talking to the rishi. Knowing that Raama had arrived, he cut short his talk and went away. Then Raama, with his brother and wife, approached the rishi and humbly saluted him.

The old ascetic said: “It is for you I have been waiting. It is time for me to leave the body but my wish was to see you first. And so I have been waiting. Now my desire is fulfilled, I pass on to you all the merit of my penances.”

Raama answered: “My Lord, should I not earn my own merit? How can I receive what you have earned? I have renounced everything to live in the forest. Advise me where I can best find an abode in the forest and send me forth with your blessing.”

The rishi knew the secret of Raama’s avatar and told him: “Learn from the sage Suteeksha where in the forest you should dwell.”

Then Sarabhanga kindled a fired and entered it. The gross body perished in the flames and a youthful ethereal form rose from the pyre and floated up the heavens.

(C. Rajagopalachari; Ramayana; Chap XXIX, Viraadha’s end; P182-183)

No comments: