Thursday, November 28, 2019

Nature: Delhi as City of Birds


It seems Delhi is the city of birds. Everyday I come across flocks of birds at different places. Perhaps this time when the winter has started is special for birds because I am seeing lot of birds’ activities these days. Here are some of the pictures I took using my phone:


(Above) Found a man feeding Mynahs and Sparrows with Haldiram Namkeen
While people from all other major Indian cities keep complaining that in the name of birds they are now left with only pigeons who make their balconies dirty; Delhi is blessed in this regard. I have always found sparrows in many areas in Delhi/NCR. And I see Indian Mynahs in such large numbers in Delhi. 

(Above) Just see how these birds are flocking to eat (junk food).
It was a lovely scene. Apart from Mynahs and Sparrows I could also spot a few Crows. 

(Above) A beautiful Mynah and few little Sparrows

(Above) Birds sitting on light posts in Delhi

(Above) Birds sitting on a wall in Delhi

This last picture is so special. I came across these birds which are all Indian Mynahs, at a place where hundreds of these birds had gathered and were most probably discussing some matters. In a group of a few Mynahs several appeared like they were fighting or arguing. There was no apparent reason why hundreds of Mynahs had gathered at a single place. It looked like a “Panchayat”. Sometimes even Crows can be seen to gather at a place or on some tree and make lots of noise. 

Well, after all I am very happy to see these birds around me. Hope these birds keep Delhi as their home always. 


Rahul Tiwary

No comments: