Saturday, November 30, 2019

Personal: The Office Boy and Tipping Point of our Friendship


Just a month into my new job and our office got shifted. At the new place we had a highly professional and smart housekeeping service. It caused some job cuts for old office boys and admin staff. They all were temporary hires and hence they did not really mind. They would shift to some other office. One of those office boys, or peons, was asked to be in the new office for a month, just as a backup till the infrastructure is stabilized. I being a new employee had not interacted with him much in the old office. But in the new office this changed.
Since he did not really have much work in the new office, he started hanging around the Billiards (game) room. He also started playing and learnt quickly. I also played regularly and hence now I was able to interact with him and got to know a bit about him. I noticed a few good qualities in him. First, he had a very friendly nature. He did not get annoyed or agitated at all and spoke politely no matter what. You can say that this was expected from him since he was an office boy. Still, it appeared to me that this was his nature and not just a behavior to display in office. He was also a very quick learner. Most of us were just learning to play but he proved himself to be the fastest learner. When I struggled, he would help me. He treated all of us with great respect. I also noticed that he used to feel a big awkward in the new super-luxurious office since he was the only office boy and appeared a bit out of place. But I used to talk to him and greeted him with a smile and a few words whenever we came across. If I was sitting on a chair and he would come to talk, I would ask him to sit down too. I noticed that he had become a bit more open and comfortable with me than he was with others. I think I treated him in a friendly manner. And then one fine day, something caught my attention.  
One day, perhaps during third week in this office, I saw him doing some housekeeping work in the office. And I felt offended. I ignored the feeling. After an hour or two, again I saw him moving some items from here to there in the office and I felt offended. For a moment I wondered why I was feeling offended. I noticed that the feeling was similar to the feeling one would get if one’s own family member or a close friend would be made to do some small work below one’s dignity. At that moment, I realized that he had truly become my “friend” and that’s why I was feeling offended!
I would have seen him doing small chores many times before and very regularly. But I never noticed; forget about feeling offended. But after playing billiards with him and interacting with him for a few weeks, I had developed a bond of friendship with him. And that very day was the “Tipping Point” of our friendship. That day onward whenever I saw him doing manual work, I would feel “hurt” a bit. Although on the surface I kept ignoring the feeling as if nothing happened.
In a week’s time, his last day in office arrived. A couple of days before the last day, I thought about giving him some money as a parting gift. But then it did not feel right. I had treated him like an equal all along and if I gave him money, I would display that I considered him lower than me. Therefore, I thought it was not a good idea. But then he was going away forever, and he was from a poor family. So I decided to go ahead with my initial plan. On the last day, near the end of they day, I got chance when both of us were playing billiards and I gave him 500 rupees asking him to buy for himself something with it since it was his last day in our office. He declined to take the note and kept saying that it was not needed. I said that I knew it was not needed and yet wanted him to buy anything for himself or his family with it. Then he took it and kept it in his pocket. It was a relief for me.
After 10 minutes he said, “Sir, I think despite this whole time I don’t know your name”. I was a new employee and there was no surprise that he would not know my name. I told him my name.
After a while when I was leaving for the day, he was just entering the office, perhaps to say final good bye to whoever still remained inside. He said good bye to me and we had a handshake. At this moment I saw a bit of moisture in his eyes. After all he must have got emotional while saying good bye to this office where he was working since long and where he must have made some good memories. Even temporary workers get attached to a workplace and its people – it is only human to do so. But I know that boys like him who come from a poor family seldom show emotion. Hence that hint of a moisture that glittered in his eyes got captured in my memory.
I asked him to come to the office some time in future just to see us all. As I left office for the day and the weekend follows, from coming Monday he won’t be around in the office. He won’t be in the billiards room displaying his new learnings. Perhaps at his new place of work he won’t get to play billiards and he would miss these days when he loved the game so much. Good bye, dear friend. Stay blessed always wherever you will be. May life be kind on you.
Rahul Tiwary

No comments: