Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Nice shopkeepers

I went to buy some cloth in a shop for the first time. In fact, I had searched on the internet to find where "Only Vimal" brand of fabric was being sold, since few months ago it had occurred to me that I had not seen it anywhere for long time. Like most people of our time, I had grown into habit of buying 'readymade' shirts until few years ago I saw how my father still got his shirts stitched by a tailor in our hometown, and hence I had started the same practice too. Vimal brand is owned by Reliance and since I am a huge enthusiast for Indian brands and Indian businesses, for few months I have been looking for opportunity to buy a Vimal brand fabric.

Most of such businesses in our hometown are owned by Marwaris and it is possible that the new shop I went to was also owned by one. The experience I got there touched me a lot. 

I was greeted by an elderly person, who seemed the owner of the shop. The shop was very well maintained. There was another boy along with the man who seemed like his son. Both the man and the boy were very polite and talked to me in such a nice way. There was not even an iota of negativity in them or their behaviour. 

Usually I make very quick decisions while shopping and hence I was done in 5-10 minutes, but the elderly shop owner showed me some extra material too. I liked whatever he showed, although I bought only what I had gone there for. 

After coming out of the shop, the extremely nice behaviour of both of the shopkeepers touched me a lot. I don't know when was the last time anyone talked to me so nicely like they had done. It would be a tragedy if politeness and nice behaviour are restricted to salesmen or businessmen in our society. 

Still feeling touched by the behaviour of two gentlemen. 

- Rahul 


No comments: