Saturday, February 5, 2011

Is our current life worthless?

While walking in the evening, suddenly my sight reached the moon. The moon lit the dark sky. Its shape was incomplete today. My mind wandered to visualise the reason. The sun would be on the other side of the earth, that part of earth would be seeing the day and the part where I walked had a night. The earth would therefore be creating a shadow on the moon, which made the moon lit less than half. After visualising this, my mind saw myself walking on the earth. Earth is so large, sun is larger and moon too very large compared to anything else on this earth’s surface. And I am not even a drop in the ocean. In fact when I saw myself from the high above, everything and everyone seemed small and worthless.

Just 10 minutes back I was thinking about ways to make more money, to enhance career prospects, to buy a house: all material thoughts. But visualising the worthlessness of this life made me think about its purpose. The purpose of life is definitely not to make most money or to become the richest and strongest person on this earth. Even if I become so, I won’t even be a speck in the sky. Hinduism tells our goal is to get free from all attachments and attain moksha. But I wonder:
How all that I am doing now or what all I have been doing for my life, going to help me in that?

No comments: