Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hindu Temples I have visited (Part-I)


Shanta Durga Temple in Goa. It is dedicated to Shanta Durga – the form of Shakti who is peaceful and who mediated between Shiva and Vishnu. The original temple was destroyed by Portuguese in 1564. The Devi was shifted to this place at Kavalem and worship continued here. The current temple was constructed during the reign of Maratha ruler Chatrapati Shahu Raje of Satara about 1738 A.D. Here is the temple website: http://shreeshantadurga.com/ Hindu Temples in Goa have their own unique design. They are spacious and stand beautiful. Wonderful to visit.




Shri Mangeshi Temple in Goa. This is basically a Shiva temple with a very old sacred Shivalinga kept here. Its legend goes back to the Puranas. There was an original temple of Lord Shiva, which had to be shifted to this place due to Portuguese onslaught who had banned construction and repairs of Hindu temples. This temple was built, survived, and developed in different stages, in centuries. Here is the temple website: http://www.shrimangesh.org/ Temples in Goa have their own unique design. They are spacious and stand beautiful. Wonderful to visit.


The world famous Sai Baba Temple of Shirdi, Maharashtra.


Dagdu Seth Ganesha Mandir, Pune. A beautiful Ganesha Temple with its unique style and design. The Ganesh Idol is also one of the most wonderful I have ever seen. Its peaceful but thronged by people. I found it similar to Siddhivinayak Temple of Mumbai. Must visit in Pune.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so
I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any tips and hints for first-time blog writers?
I'd definitely appreciate it.

my webpage website templates for vacation rental